Writers, poets, businessmen, lawyers, doctors – all were “regulars” at the cafe. Regular guests who have become attached to the cafe and to its staff. In the morning mostly the ones who started the day with coffee before work, later were professors and officials from the neighborhood, later in the afternoon mainly lawyers who discussed over coffee about their cases. In the evening it was already noblemen and later doctors from the nearby Jewish hospital. And late evening…
Welcome to Café Štefánka
In 1897, the architect and builder Alexander Feigler junior designed a duplex house of eclectic style on the corner of Palisády. 59 (Pallisadenweg) and Hodžovo Square (Kohlmarket). On the left side of the building Mezeyho cafe was originally located. The owner of the house was Rosa Fleischmanová, who later rented part of the house to Bela Hackenberger and therefore the family Hackenberger managed the cafe since 1904. The family asked her highness, the widow of a successor of the Austro-Hungarian throne Prince Rudolph, Princess of Štefánie if the café could carry her name. With her consent, the café began to be called Štefánie and later after the establishment of Czechoslovakia the name changed to Štefánka. Later also the street (originally named Stephaniengasse) was named after the popular princess. The street was very well known due to big allegorical “triumphal arch” being built during imperial visits. Another café in Bratislava was named after the only daughter of princess Štefánie (Alžbeta). Between wars the best Gypsy artists were performing in the café. Already open at six in the morning (Štefánka was famous for its breakfast) and the closing was often shifted till the morning. In 1935, Mr. Vojtech Hackenberger, the last of the dynasty, reconstructed and renovated the interior of the café. Only freshly roasted coffee, fast dishes, desserts, champagne and local real French champagne were served. The café had its own telephone, radio, smoked cigars as well as two pool tables in the back of the café.
Even in the 30’s and 40’s, café Štefánka was one of the most prestigious cafés in Bratislava of the last century. It was a popular place for meetings of Bratislava’s intelligence, writers, poets, journalists, bohemians, artists as well as playboys. The reduced form of the Štefanka atmosphere could be enjoyed until the early 80’s. Today, café Štefánka returns not only to its original name, but also to the original royal spirit. Reconstruction of areas has brought not only a return to the original interior with Art Nouveau elements but also to new quality of services at the required level. We firmly believe that we will make you feel good and you will express your satisfaction by re-visiting our café.
Štefánie Clotilde Louise Herminie Marie Charlotte (1864 – 1945)
Princess Štefánie , daughter of Belgian King Leopold II. family of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, was very popular. Her mother, Queen Mária Henrieta Anna was the daughter of Hungarian Palatine Joseph from the side lines of the family Habsburg-Lothringen. Štefánie was therefore the great-granddaughter of Emperor Leopold II., the son of Márie Terézie.
In 1881 Štefánie married the Austrian Crown Prince Rudolf, the only son of Emperor Franz Joseph I and his wife Alžbeta, Bavarian princess. Emperor Franz Joseph visited Bratislava in the period 1849 – 1908 about nine times. Štefánie and Rudolf had only one daughter, Alžbeta Mária. When the husband Štefánie tragically died in 1889, the princess as a widow lost her position at the imperial court. Unfortunately she did not receive support from the father, the Belgian King Leopold II. Later, she married Hungarian prince Elmér of the family Lónayov and they lived together until the end of second World War in the palace in Rusovce near Bratislava. She is buried with her husband in the Church of Our Lady in the Benedictine Abbey in Hungarian Pannohalm.